This article is for customers who publish apps in the Google Play Store for users of Android devices.
Google's Background Location Access Policy requires specific disclosures and demonstrations if you want to use background location access in your Android apps.
If your app does require background location access (for example, for location-based push notifications), this article explains what you need to do.
Turning on background location access
- Log in to the CMS Platform
- Under "Apps", select the app you want to change, go to the "Publishing" section, and scroll down to the "App info" part
- Just above "Pricing and Availability" you'll see the option "Allow Background Location Services to continually detect your users' locations". Click the selector so that this option is activated:
- Complete the text box below ("Explain how the product will use background location") with a clear explanation of why your app needs to use background location access; this will be displayed to users when they launch the app for the first time.
You must complete this explanation, or your app will be rejected by Google.
Ensure you review the Google recommendations for the disclosure to minimize the risk of rejection.
- Ensure you have complied in full with steps 3, 4, and 5 in this article from Google - paying special attention to the permissions declaration form in the Play Console.
You must include a video, captured on an Android device, showing the background location access permissions request.
Here are Google's requirements for the video. Please note the following:
If you cannot include a video showing this, you must explain why in your declaration (for example, because it requires recording while moving into a certain location set on the map).
- Save your changes
- Republish your app
Consequences of turning on background location access
Your app will be checked by Google to ensure full compliance with their background location access policy.
It may be rejected if Google considers that it does not comply. You will need to address the rejection reasons before republishing; these are requirements from Google. The BiznessApps support team cannot influence these or get your app published if it is non-compliant.
Please Review best practices for accessing location and Consider alternatives to accessing a location in the background
You can also read about how to turn off location services
Article is closed for comments.