This article explains what the Apple Developer account is, its purpose as well as its registration process.
All apps in the iTunes Store are submitted through Apple Developer accounts. To publish your app for iOS devices, you will need to sign up for an Apple Developer account. Apple requires each business to have their own account. You may refer to the Apple Developer guidelines for instructions to assist your clients with this process.
Enrollment is $99 and renews annually.
Membership is now available at no cost for eligible organizations, including non-profit organizations, accredited educational institutions, and government entities based in the United States. Visit this Apple support article for more details on eligibility requirements.
Below is a step-by-step guide for enrolling. If you run into any issues, we recommend contacting Apple support directly at 1-800-633-2152.
- Create your ID
- Go to Apple Developer's enrolment page.
- Enter or create a new Apple ID. We recommend you create a new Apple ID that reflects your business name. This way, your personal ID is separate from your business account.
- Developer Agreement
You will be prompted to read and verify that you have read Apple’s Developer Agreement.
- Choosing an Entity Type
Here you will be prompted to select an Entity Type. The entity type is what Apple uses to display as your Developer Name. For example, as an Individual, your Developer Name will be your full name. As an Organization, your Developer Name will be your Business’s Name.
There are three options:
- Government Organization
If you are enrolling as an organization, you will need an Apple ID as well as the following to get started:
- A D-U-N-S® Number
- Legal Entity Status
Your organization much be a legal entity so that it can be entered into contracts with Apple. Apple does not accept DBAs, fictitious businesses, trade names, or branches.
- Legal Binding Authority
As the person enrolling your organization in Apple’s Developer Program, you must have the legal authority to bind your organization to legal agreements. You must be the organization’s owner/founder, executive team member, senior project lead, or have legal authority granted to you by a senior employee.
- Contact Information
After you select your entity type, Apple will want you to enter and confirm your contact information.
- Payment & Confirmation
After entering your payment information, Apple will ask you to complete and confirm your purchase.
You should receive an email confirmation of your order with a link to verify your email address. Just follow the instructions to confirm your account. Now you are an Apple Developer!
Your account renews yearly and is required for your application to run appropriately.
- Log in to iTunes Connect and Apple Developer using your Apple ID login information.
- Confirmation of your account can take up to 48 hours.
- To successfully publish iOS applications, ensure you have logged in and accepted any additional Terms of Service prompts.
- Membership is now available at no cost for eligible organizations, including non-profit organizations, accredited educational institutions, and government entities based in the United States. Refer to the Apple Developer Program Membership Fee Waivers for more details on eligibility requirements.