Subscriptions is a subfeature within the Messages feature that allows users to turn off categories of messages so they won't be alerted when new push notifications under these categories are received.
The Subscriptions feature allows users to control the various messages categories to both improve the messaging clarity to app users and create a way to help deter users from turning off your applications push notes because of spam.
These messages categories are called subscriptions, and by using them you can now inform those interested in certain aspects of your business without spamming those who are not.
By default, subscriptions are all enabled in a newly installed app with the Messages feature. This will ensure at first users will not miss out on any messages. When messages are sent, they will still be displayed in the messages list regardless of the subscription settings. The settings exist simply to turn off (mute) the push notification prompt from alerting of the new messages.
Check the Building the Messages Feature KB article.
Managing your subscriptions
Once you have clicked "Add Subscription." you will be presented with a simple text field to title your subscription. You can also organize the order of these by drag and drop. If you take a look at the image below, you can also see how many users have each subscription turned on.
Sending Push notifications enabling Subscriptions
- Navigate to Manage -> Push Notifications and scroll to the bottom.
- Enable the Apply Filter by subscriptions option and select from your Subscriptions to send your push notification.
Note: If you choose not to select any, the push notification will go out to ALL users, even if they have all subscriptions turned off (This, of course, does not override the device targets or user groups selections).
Deleting Messages From the Back-End
Through the Messages feature, users can delete previously received push notifications from their device. These messages are stored "locally," on the device itself, so when they trash a message, that action only applies to their device.
From the Push Notifications section of your dashboard, you can also remove scheduled and previously sent push notifications.
- When logged into the app, navigate to Manage -> Push Notifications section of the dashboard.
- At the top left of the window, click the SENT tab to reveal your messages log.
- Find the message you'd like to delete in your log. You'll see a Scheduled section if you want to select upcoming, scheduled messages. Otherwise, you can use Sent and filter by message types.
- When you hover over a message you'll see a circle pop up to the left, check this to select it. You can select multiple at a time. When you want to delete your selected messages, click the trash can at the bottom center.
Note: If you delete a scheduled push notification, it will no longer send at its scheduled time.
Check the Message Center - Messages Tab KB article.
You will have managed to configure the Subscriptions feature according to your preference.
- Introduction to the Group Management Add-On
- Introduction to Push Notifications
- Building the Messages Feature
Please sign in to leave a comment.