Since the launch of Bizness Apps, we have been absorbing the cost of Google Maps usage for our products. On June 11th, 2018 Google is making changes to their pricing structure that will stop us from being able to do so.
Please refer to Google Maps pricing change for more information.
Our platform allows for the integration of your own Google Maps License. Google Maps License allows you to utilize map data for location-based features in your application.
Features that utilize map data:
- Food Ordering
- Events v2
- Around Us
What will be affected:
All non-Bizness Apps domains. (The default PWA domain will not be affected). For example, your subdomain (client panel) or any PWA custom domains.
Note: Native Apps will not be affected.
Moving forward, you will only need at least one Google Maps License API key. This single key can have your partner subdomain, as well as all custom PWA domains registered to it.
If the PWAs, under your account, are getting a lot of usages and warrant their own API key ($200/month credit), you can simply create a new Google Maps License for this PWAs custom domain and enter it under the Settings page when you are logged into this app. Refer to the steps below:
Getting my own Google Maps License
- Visit this page and create your Google Cloud account. If you already have one, here is Google's guide for existing users.
- Select "Get Started".
- Select all three Google Maps Platforms (Maps, Routes & Places).
- Enter in your domain (less www. or .net) in the Project Name.
- Follow instructions to create the billing account if needed.
Note: At this point, Google may also make an offer for a $300 trial of Google Cloud Products. Google has confirmed this is separate and you will not be charged for any Google Cloud Products unless you use them.
- Continue the Google Maps Setup to receive your API Key. Save this key.
- Click the 'API Console' link in this popup.
- Scroll to "Key Restrictions" and select “HTTP referrers (web site)” under Application restrictions.
- Next, under “Accept requests from these HTTP referrers (web sites)” enter the following requests:
- *.yourdomain.com (example: *.smbmarketing.com)
- subdomain.yourdomain.com (example: login.smbmarketing.com)
- yourdomain.com (example: submarketing.com)
- All of your PWA Custom Domains you wish to attribute to this key.
- Save and your API Key will update automatically (no need to recopy it)
Inserting the Google Maps API Key
For your first Maps API key, which we will refer to as your 'Main' key, you will want to add it to your Partner Dashboard > Setting page.
As mentioned above, if some of your PWAs begin hogging your Google Maps calls, you can follow the steps above to create a new key only assigning your PWA's custom domain to it. Now, this PWA will have its own $200/month allotment from Google.
You will want to save this PWA Custom Domain specific Maps Key under your Apps Setting > General of the CMS.