Since the launch of BiznessApps, we have been covering the cost of Google Maps usage for our products. However, on June 11th, 2018, Google has changed its pricing structure. Unfortunately, following Google's new pricing policy, we are not able to bear the costs of Google Maps services.
This article provides information on the features that utilize map data, what to do following the change, the affected and unaffected services with respect to this change, how you can get your own Google Maps License, and the process of installing the Google Maps API key.
Features That Utilize Map Data
Our platform allows the integration of your own Google Maps License. Google Maps License allows you to utilize map data for location-based features in your application.
Here are the features that utilize map data:
- Food Ordering
- Events v2
- Around Us
Affected and Unaffected Services
All the domains other than BiznessApps domains are affected, e.g., your subdomain (client panel) or any PWA custom domains.
The default PWA domain and native apps are not affected.
What to Do
Moving forward, you need to acquire at least one Google Maps License API key. This single key can have your partner subdomain, as well as all the custom PWA domains registered to it.
If the PWAs that are under your account are getting a high amount of usage and warrant their own API key ($200/month credit), you can create a new Google Maps License for these PWAs' custom domain. You can enter it under the Settings page when you are logged in to the app at stake. Please refer to the following sections for more details on getting the new Google Maps License and inserting the API key.
Getting Your Own Google Maps License
- Create your Google Cloud account.
If you already have a Google Cloud account, please follow the steps in Google's guide for existing users.
- Select Get Started.
- Select all three Google Maps Platforms (i.e., Maps, Routes, and Places).
- Enter your domain (less www. or .net) in the Project Name.
- Follow the instructions to create the billing account if needed.
When you are creating the billing account, Google may make an offer for a $300 trial of Google Cloud Products. Google has confirmed that this is a separate offer, and you will not be charged for any Google Cloud Products unless you use them.
- Continue with the Google Maps Setup to receive your API Key.
- Save the API key.
- Click on the API Console link in the pop-up window.
- Scroll down to Key Restrictions and select HTTP referrers (web site) under Application Restrictions.
- Under the Accept requests from these HTTP referrers (web sites) section, enter the following:
- *.yourdomain.com (e.g., *.example.com)
- subdomain.yourdomain.com (e.g., login.example.com)
- yourdomain.com (e.g., example.com)
- All of your PWA Custom Domains that you wish to attribute to this key.
- Click Save.
Your API Key will update automatically. You do not need to recopy it.
Inserting the Google Maps API Key
To add your first Google Maps API key, aka your main key, to your Partner Dashboard, please follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Settings > General.
- Scroll down to Maps Service and enable Use Google Maps Platform Plan.
- Enter or paste the Google Maps Platform API Key into the relevant field.
- Click Save.