Screenshots are a crucial aspect of your app listings. In both the App Store and Google Play, you'll select featured screenshots to give prospective users an idea of the functionality your app contains.
These screenshots are uploaded in the Publish Step, where we grab them during the iOS upload process. Since they can't be changed without an update after the app goes live, it's crucial that your screenshots are as precise as you'd like them when you publish your app. If you'd like to update them later, the standard $50 update fee will apply for iOS.
This article provides basic tools as well as the tips and tricks in generating your screenshots.
Required Screenshot Dimensions
- iPhone 5: 640x1136px
- iPhone 6: 750x1334px
- iPhone 6 Plus: 1242x2208px
- Tablet: 1536x2048px
Do's and Dont's
- Do use this Take a Screenshot tool that provides instructions on taking screenshots with different devices and computers. On iPhones, hold down the home button & screen lock button. On Androids, it's usually the same, though on some devices it's the volume up button & the home button.
- Do upload at least 3-5 screenshots for each size. A shot of the home screen, the More or Modern menu, and a specific tab are usually safe bets. Regardless of what you choose to include, just make sure you're showing some functionality.
- Do ensure the screenshots are appropriate for all viewers (4+), even if the app has a higher rating.
- Don't upload screenshots taken on an Android or any devices besides iOS. Apple will reject apps displaying other companies' products.
- Don't display content or functionality that isn't currently in your app. If your screenshots look different than the app in use, Apple will reject your app. For that reason, it's usually best to create your screenshots after your app is complete.
The simplest way to grab screenshots is to load the preview on your device and snap your shot, then email them to yourself or use the Dropbox app.
Under the Screen Shots section of the Publish Step, just click the Take Screenshots button, and our screenshot tool will take three screenshots per device size for you. You don't need to wait around for them to load—just check back later to see your newly created screenshots.
NOTE: If you have a Membership Feature enabled, be sure to uncheck the Require Login Credentials box before generating screenshots, or the Screenshot Tool will not be able to proceed past the login screen.
You can similarly use your browser to take screenshots. Just load the app in the Preview App simulator and take screenshots from there. However, since this is a third-party software, it's less reliable than the first two options listed above.
The in-dashboard preview is also an easy way to take screenshots. However, like Preview App simulator, this software is powered by a third party, thus less reliable than the first two options above.
To delete, select the circle in the upper left-hand corner and click the trash can on the popup on the bottom of the screen. You can select All to delete all screenshots.