This article provides information on how using 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication) for both Apple Organization Developer and Individual Developer accounts. We will also discuss the process to overcome 2FA for individual accounts. 2FA is an extra layer of security for an Apple ID. It is designed to ensure that the person who set up the Apple ID is the only person who can access their account, even if someone knows their password.
With two-factor authentication for Apple ID enabled, your account can only be accessed on devices that are trusted like your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
So when you sign in to your Apple ID, for example via a web browser on a PC, the registered iOS device will be triggered to display the 2FA code. This code that displays on the iOS device must be entered into the web browser to proceed with the Apple ID authentication.
Two Factor Authentications - Organisation Developer Accounts
2FA is triggered every time an Apple Developer Account is signed into. This clearly impacts the BiznessApps publishing team as they have to sign in to the developer account to publish an app. For Organisation Developer Accounts that have added BiznessApps as a team member, the following points apply.
- 2FA is triggered on the BiznessApps Apple ID and not on the customer’s Apple ID.
- Your client will not be prompted with 2FA on their device.
- The BiznessApps Publish Team can proceed with the publishing of an app without any issues.
Two Factor Authentications – Individual Developer Accounts
However, with Individual Developer Accounts, BiznessApps cannot be added as a team member. Therefore when the BiznessApps publish team attempts to publish an app on an individual developer account, they have to log in using the customers’ Apple ID and not BiznessApps Apple ID. This, in turn, will lead to the following points.
- Trigger a 2FA prompt on the customer’s iOS device.
- The 2FA code has to be provided to the publishing team within 30 seconds before it expires.
- This is not possible without live coordination with you, your client and the publishing team.
- The BiznessApps Publish Team will not communicate directly with your client.
Clearly, this presents a problem when publishing to an individual developer account.