How to move your subdomain from an A-Record to a CNAME on HostGator.
A CNAME (Alias) record points to an A (Host) record. You can create multiple CNAME records and point them to an A record. The most common CNAME records are the subdomains www. and ftp.
CNAME records make your DNS data easier to manage. If you change the IP address of an A record, all CNAME records pointed to that A record automatically follow the new IP address. The alternative solution, multiple A records, is not as simple as using CNAME records.
- Log into your HostGator cpanel. Instructions here
- Navigate to the Domains section of your panel
- Select 'Advanced DNS Zone Editor'
- Add a CNAME Record
- In the 'Name' field, enter your chosen prefix. (Ex. login, cms)
- In the CNAME field, enter 'cms.mobileapphelper.com '
- Click Add CNAME Record
Please note, CNAMEs can take up to 48 hours to propagate.